Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Death in June - The Phoenix has Risen

Phoenix has Risen cover

Commercial CD: 1 disc (Album)
Released: 2006
Page at Discogs
Rating: All right

I love neofolk. I've been listening to it since about 1990. It wasn't called neofolk then, the names kept cycling around, with Apocalyptic Folk being quite popular for the particular blend of Dark/Militant/Ritual Ambient Soundscapes and Acoustic Instrumentation. Fast forward about 17years and now there are many different genres. I refer to all of them as either dark ambient (Arditi, Triarii), neofolk (DiJ, Sol Invictus, Cawatana) or "E3" (Ordo Equilibrio). Anyway, I picked up Death in June's archival release The Phoenix has Risen.

I feel slightly heretical here, however this album is more for completion than enjoyment. This album consists of a 1983 Demo tape and a live show (also from 1983) which was originally released as a bootleg. Sound Quality is atrocious and, for the most part, there is nothing really novel about this album. Imagine Night & Fog without the treatments that Douglas P. & David Tibet gave to certain songs, a recreation which caused one to endure the horrible sound quality. I cannot really recommend this album. In fact, it is only all right because I cannot bring myself to dismiss it completely.

No comments: